It has been a while since I've posted anything because it takes about three weeks to get internet out here once you call to set up an appointment. **So frustrating!** I have felt disconnected from the world, is that sad? The frustrating part was mostly that I couldn't check my email or facebook, and I couldn't use Google Maps to figure out how to get around out here. But, all is well now!
We have moved into our house in Bury St Edmunds. I really like it but I am discovering all the little issues that come with moving in and getting used to a new place. There are a lot of differences between an American home and an English home! But we are learning and adjusting.
Our home is so cute and has a red door. It is three stories and the girls have the top floor all to themselves :) There is a fenced yard out back with a patio and a shed, and there is a resident only parking lot behind that. It is an easy walk to the town center (an amazing place!) which is convenient because you have to pay to park there. In the town center you have all the nice stores, shops, restaurants/cafes, basically anything that you want or need is there. Plus, every Wednesday and Saturday there is a market that takes up several streets in the town center. The market sells anything from produce to vacuums (hoovers) to bedding. I get almost all our produce there and our bread. They sell amazing homemade bread, and once you have that you can't really go back to the skinny loaf bread at the grocery.
All of our belongings were delivered yesterday so our house is a disaster zone right now. Its nice that the movers unpack everything for you, but now there is just random piles of stuff all over the floors and up the stairs. I'm trying hard not to go crazy looking at it! Once we have it looking normal I will upload some pictures!
A quick update on Myla's head injury: She is doing great! We have been applying Neosporin and Vitamin E on it and it is already just a faint pink line. She has shown no sign of any other damage. Whew...
Travel Adventures
We visited Dover castle which is right on the coast of England near France. When I say near France, I really mean it - we could see France across the English Channel!!A few quick facts about Dover Castle: Built by Henry II in the 12th century. Known as the "Key to England" and has guarded the English shores for more than 20 centuries. There are tunnels under the castle that were used for soldiers during the evacuation of Dunkirk in WWII, and there is even a hospital down there too!
| Walking up to the castle |
| View from the top! |
| Matt and I in the tower |
A festival was going on that day so they tried to make it feel like we were really back in time. One thing that we really enjoyed was the minstrels that were playing Medieval music and taught us songs.
| Myla and I got up and danced together to the music! |
| Photo op on the white cliffs of Dover |
| Can you see the coast of France? |
| It says "Peverell's Gate, Early 13th Century" |
I don't want to add too much in one post so I will add more tomorrow about Easter, St. George and the Dragon, and lots of new British words that I am slowly figuring out!!
I am green with envy! Very green. :)
ReplyDelete